Music has a way of moving me and bringing back the most heartfelt memories, much like taste and smell. The scent of Coppertone takes me back to when I was a child. (Best. Smell. Ever.) Some butter-cream frostings have the same affect on me too. Anyone familiar with Hansen’s Cakes in L.A. knows what I’m talking about.
Music carries me away and takes me to my happy place. My favorite songs make up the sound track of my life. Here are some of my favorite summer songs that remind me of long summer days and balmy nights, running through the sprinklers, ice cream, backyard BBQ’s, and most of all, no homework!
1) Hot Fun In The Summertime (Sly & The Family Stone) – How can you not love this song? It’s pure bliss and I can sing it over and over again.
2) Summer Lovin’ (Grease soundtrack) – Best soundtrack EVER. We used to take turns pretending who was Sandy and who was Danny. FYI my sister and I got to go to the movie premier, because guess who stayed up all night calling into the radio station to win tickets – on a school night! No small feat since this was before speed dial. Yeah, I’m impressed too. BTW, I still know every word and dance move.
3) Got To Give It Up (Marvin Gaye) – Our neighbors played it over and over at their summer pool parties. As a disco/motown lover, this had me hooked the first time it reached my ears. Whenever they cranked it up I had my own dance party.
4) School’s Out For Summer (Alice Cooper) – For me the mark of summer was when the radio stations began playing Alice Cooper’s “School’s Out For Summer.” It was June, it was hot, and we were ready to through away our notebooks filled with the past year’s work. Sweet freedom. It was divine. I still remember blasting the song and singing along at the top of my voice.
5) California Girls (The Beach Boys)– Well, actually, anything Beach Boys. Me, my sister, and our bestfriend/neighbor, Stacey, used to put on dance shows for each other. No inhibitions and some serious moves. Amazing no one hurt themselves.
6) Nothing sings “road-trip” like these babies: Barbra Streisand, Sergio Mendes & Brazil 66, and Herb Alpert & The Tijuana Brass. We used to listen to them on 8-Track (I’m really dating myself here). My mom would belt out Streisand, my dad would smile and rock his head from side to side, while my brother, sister and I would take turns riding shotgun.
What songs remind you of summer?