Music has a way of moving me and bringing back the most heartfelt memories, much like taste and smell. The scent of Coppertone takes me back to when I was a child. (Best. Smell. Ever.) Some butter-cream frostings have the same affect on me too. Anyone familiar with Hansen’s Cakes in L.A. knows what I’m talking about.
Music carries me away and takes me to my happy place. My favorite songs make up the sound track of my life. Here are some of my favorite summer songs that remind me of long summer days and balmy nights, running through the sprinklers, ice cream, backyard BBQ’s, and most of all, no homework!
1) Hot Fun In The Summertime (Sly & The Family Stone) – How can you not love this song? It’s pure bliss and I can sing it over and over again.
2) Summer Lovin’ (Grease soundtrack) – Best soundtrack EVER. We used to take turns pretending who was Sandy and who was Danny. FYI my sister and I got to go to the movie premier, because guess who stayed up all night calling into the radio station to win tickets – on a school night! No small feat since this was before speed dial. Yeah, I’m impressed too. BTW, I still know every word and dance move.
3) Got To Give It Up (Marvin Gaye) – Our neighbors played it over and over at their summer pool parties. As a disco/motown lover, this had me hooked the first time it reached my ears. Whenever they cranked it up I had my own dance party.
4) School’s Out For Summer (Alice Cooper) – For me the mark of summer was when the radio stations began playing Alice Cooper’s “School’s Out For Summer.” It was June, it was hot, and we were ready to through away our notebooks filled with the past year’s work. Sweet freedom. It was divine. I still remember blasting the song and singing along at the top of my voice.
5) California Girls (The Beach Boys)– Well, actually, anything Beach Boys. Me, my sister, and our bestfriend/neighbor, Stacey, used to put on dance shows for each other. No inhibitions and some serious moves. Amazing no one hurt themselves.
6) Nothing sings “road-trip” like these babies: Barbra Streisand, Sergio Mendes & Brazil 66, and Herb Alpert & The Tijuana Brass. We used to listen to them on 8-Track (I’m really dating myself here). My mom would belt out Streisand, my dad would smile and rock his head from side to side, while my brother, sister and I would take turns riding shotgun.
What songs remind you of summer?
Kim Jorgensen Gane says
Afternoon Delight and Stairway to Heaven remind me of still innocent summer camp romance. *sigh*
Jennifer Wagner says
I think all the Beach Boys songs remind me of summer. Just looking at a picture of the Beach Boys even makes me think of summer. You can’t even picture them in snow wearing winter coats.
Janie Emaus says
A Summer Place. It takes me way back to place before…
Mary Anne Tuggle Payne says
Oh yeah-I remember listening to My Sharona on an 8 track….
Kay Lynn Akers says
I picked School’s out as my favorite summer song. Love that music from the 70’s!
Lois Alter Mark says
School’s Out always made me happy! Would love to see you as Sandy!
Donna Schwartz Mills says
Eight tracks. I don’t miss those! But oh – what great memories these songs bring up.
What fun to combine the songs of summer with road trips. I’m afraid I used to play show tunes – Broadway musicals in the car with my kids to where these days they know many of them by heart. So those too are songs of summer to me – and hopefully to them.
Beverly Diehl says
Yankee Candle makes one called “Sun and Sand” that is the nearest mix I have found to that blend of Coppertone, warm sun, and saltwater goodness. It’s my go-to candle for summer nights.
Love your list. Yes, anything Beach Boys makes you think of summer, summer.
Karen D. Austin says
I won’t mock you about 8 track since we owned on 8 track these title: Captain and Tennille and The Osmond Brothers, which my mother purchased for my two sisters, my mother and I to listen to on the long drive between Orange Co. California and Utah County, Utah were we had relatives. Muskrat Love? Crazy Horses. Yes, I still know some of the lyrics. Fun list. And it’s fun to know others who were around for that blip of time when 8 tracks were the craze.
Phoebe Wulliman Graber says
Oh those Coppertone days before any concerns of skin cancer! Had totally not thought about Grease and “Summer Lovin'”! Can also relate to the Captain and Tennille and cranking the radio with My Sharona! Great collection to jog many memories!
Great songs. I remember them all. Ahhhhhh – the smell of Coppertone, brings back so many memories including making out with Mike S. in the beach dunes!!!
Kathy Marris says
Definitely ‘Boys of Summer’ by The Eagles. It reminds of having little holiday romances with boys when I was a teenager.
Lynn Kellan says
Don’t Go Breakin’ My Heart (Elton John) always reminds me of my summers!
Lisa Newlin says
These are good summer ones, but I love Kenny Chesney’s “Summertime” and Tim McGraw’s “Something like that.” Both are songs about summer that always make me smile.
Shannon Bradley-Colleary says
Hey girl — love your list. Mine is the soundtrack from The Electric Horseman with the dazzling Robert Redford. Unfortunately you can’t find that soundtrack anymore. “Mamas don’t let your babies grow up to be cowboys. They never at home and they’re always alone, even with someone they love.” Sigh.
Linda, thanks for your wonderful summer music list and I AM impressed that you got the movie premier tickets, btw. I loved all of these songs and remember listening to the Beach Boys – my older sister’s favorite – feeling like she was opening the doors to teenage life by introducing me to their fabulous music. Listening to the BB, in particular, takes me back.
Cathy Chester says
Those are great songs, Linda! Of course anything from “Grease” reminds me of summer. I love the last scene!
I think the Beach Boys take everyone back, don’t they?
Hotel California. Definitely.
And talk about dating oneself. I proudly owned the Christy and Jimmy McNichol 8track. Anyone? Anyone?